HILL, Harry

Private Harry Hill
R/366239 Private Army Service Corps, No 2 Base Remount Depot
72528 Gunner Royal Regiment of Artillery (RH & RFA)

Harry was born in 1892 in Jacksdale, son of Robert Hill a grocer/general dealer and Catherine (nee Heald). Harry came from a large family having brothers and sisters Mary, Robert, Edward, William, Percy, Thomas, Ida and Catherine. His brothers Thomas and Percy are also listed on the Jacksdale War Memorial as having served and survived WW1.

In 1911 the family was living on Main Road, Jacksdale and Harry, aged 18, was assisting his father in the family shop. The shop was situated on the corner of Jacksdale Street/Stone Row in the premises now used by the dental surgery.

On 11th January 1915 Harry volunteered, taking his oath of attestation at Sutton-in-Ashfield. Just a few days before, on 7th January, the army medical officer gave him a clean bill of health but just 29 days later, on 8th February 1915, he was discharged from No. 1 Depot, RFA as ‘Not likely to become an efficient soldier . medically unfit.’

In 1918/1919 Harry is listed on the Absent Voters Roll as serving with the No. 2 Base Remount Depot, Army Service Corps so he must have re-enlisted at some point in the war. He was a recipient of the British War and Victory Medals.

Harry Hill lived at Riddings after the war and his wife was named Mary.  She was a widow, surname Wood, and had a son, Bill, from her first marriage.

Harry’s father, Robert Hill died in 1934 and a local newspaper published the following obituary, ‘ Jacksdale Conservative’s Death. Mr. Robert Hill, of Sedgwick-street, Jacksdale, a well-known Conservative, died yesterday in his 79th year. He was an interesting personality. He had been a parish councillor, vice-chairman of Jacksdale Cricket Club, and on the committee of the Jacksdale Institute, of which he was at the time of his death an honorary member. During the early part of his career Mr. Hill was a steel-plate worker at Codnor Park, after which he became a wine and spirit merchant.’

His mother Catherine died in 1946 and is buried with Robert at Westwood, St. Mary’s.