Shops & Traders

After the arrival of the Great Northern Railway, many shops and traders sprang up to serve commerce created by the new railway station, local industries and the rapidly growing population.

In 1899 the already established Codnor Park & Ironville Co-Operative Society opened a branch in Jacksdale, Many of these pioneering early traders are remembered by stories passed down through the generations.

Tales of Mr Beeby, the pudding basin barber and Mr Stafford, the Westwood butcher who won awards for his black pudding recipe, are told today.

Limbs lemonade factory and Mrs Sharplin’s news agency are remembered fondly.

During this period of rapid growth in the early 1900’s James Oakes generously provided in 1904 a working men’s institute known now as the Jacksdale Miner’s Welfare.

In 1912 the Jacksdale Picture Palace opened and in 1914 a group of local businessmen formed the Jacksdale Social Club.

In this section we will take you on a nostalgic journey to meet our shopkeepers, tradesmen and innkeepers of the past whose entrepreneurship shaped our village trading centres, many of which still serve us today.

CLICK HERE for Photo Gallery of some Old Jacksdale Shops and Street Scenes:-

JD PicPalselston road jacksdale95