The Monument

The Jacksdale War Memorial is situated on Main Road, Jacksdale in the very centre of the village. It was erected in 1921 at a cost of £440, financed by public subscription. In 1959, during a storm the soldier statue on top of the pedestal fell off, smashing to pieces and due to cost and other concerns, was replaced with an ornate stone cap. The memorial remained without a soldier for fifty years but was never forgotten by the villagers and in 2009, due to local pressure and the generosity of Building Better Communities, the soldier statue was finally replaced. The Story of the Jacksdale Soldier – Part 1 Jacksdale’s Fallen Soldier 1959 Restoration & Re-dedication 1996 The Soldier Returns

The New Soldier Unveiled June 2009