The first houses in Jacksdale were ‘Jacksdale Farm’ at what is now the junction of York Avenue and Wagstaff Lane, and ‘Worthington’s Dale Farm’ once located opposite St Mary’s Church, Westwood.
In 1812 the Butterley Company erected a row of cottages called ‘Jacksdale Street’ and known locally as ‘Stone Row’ for its workers at the newly opened Codnor Park forge and iron works.
The next major building phase was at Westwood, originally intended to take the name ‘Westwoodville’, Palmerston Street, then known as ‘Old Westwood’ was built to provide housing for the Butterley Company’s planned ironworks at Westwood, which did not ultimately materialize.
A few three storey frame workers cottages already existed at the bottom of what is now known as New Westwood, called ‘Westwood Bent’s’. Commencing in 1874 James Oakes built rows of houses for his workers at Pye Hill and Jacksdale’s ‘Main Road’ developed soon after the arrival of the Great Northern Railway in 1875.
The next major phase of building did not take place until 1894 due to land owned by the Dixie Estate, locked in a forty year legal battle between executors and beneficiaries.
In 1894 the Dixie Estate was auctioned off in lots to private developers, building commenced and Laverick, Franklin, Providence, Dixie, Albert, Wagstaff, York and Edward Avenues emerged.
Here you can learn all about our local street names and the history of our local housing, some still in existence and others long demolished.